Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 663447

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/663447

NH74SW 7 7420 4418

(NH 7420 4418) Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

The stones appear to be the last remains of a denuded cairn with a diameter of 60 to 70 feet. There are two large boulders 21 feet 6 inches apart on its south edge, probably the remains of a kerb. On the north and north-east are a few small earthfast stones which might represent more of the kerb setting.

Twenty feet to the south-west between these two slabs is another upright stone 5 feet 10 inches high. This stone might well be the last survivor of a circle of monoliths set round a cairn of Clava type.

The site is listed by Fraser (1884) but was already in its present state for the OS 6"map, 1st ed., (1871) marks three dots at the edge of a stippled area (agreeing with the features which can be seen at present.)

J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963, visited 9 April 1957.

The remains of this cairn are as described above.

Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.

Scheduled as 'Culchunaig, cairn and standing stone 300m SE of...'

Information from Historioc Scotland, scheduling document dated 30 March 2007.

People and Organisations

References