Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 663284

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/663284

NH74NW 20 7235 4523.

(NH 7235 4523) St. Mary's Well (NR)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

This well is called after a Chapel in the neighbourhood dedicated to St. Mary (NH74NW 7).

O S Name Book 1868.

'Tobar na Coille'. Well of the Wood, Lady or St. Mary's Well, now lately more generally designated 'The Culloden Well', situated on a small elevated plat and is a natural spring encased in a stone basin 1 1/2 feet diameter and approx. 2 feet deep once with a cover under lock and key. A circular stone building encloses the well.

A few yards west of it, and connected to it by traces of a drain or pipe is a dry stone, circular cavity. People resorted there for cures and attached rags, threads, etc in repayment.

A Fraser 1878.

This well is generally as described above. It is 0.6m diameter and c.1.0m deep, and is now enclosed by a circular wall 2.0m high with an entrance on the east side. The well and its enclosing wall are in a good state of repair and its popularity is seen by the hundreds of small pieces of rag attached to the surrounding trees. The circular basin described by Fraser (1878), a few yards to the west is now in a relatively poor condition.

Visited by OS (W D J), 24 April 1962.

People and Organisations

References