Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 663181

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/663181

NH68NW 4 6366 8919

(NH 6362 8923) Church (NAT)

(NH 6364 8921) Tomb (NAT)

(NH 6366 8919) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1874).

The parish church of Creich, built in 1790, still in use in 1909, but partially demolished by 1963, stands on or near the site of its predecessor, dedicated to St Devenic, mentioned in the early 13th century and possibly rebuilt in 1619.

The 'tomb' shown at NH 6364 8921 on the OS 1st ed., 6" map bears a modern inscription: 'This ancient chapel was the burying-ground of Gray of Creich, 1625-1787'. This might suggest that it is the remains of the medieval church abandoned in 1619, but its shape and orientation make this doubtful. It is a square, stone-walled enclosure, roofless, with walls 0.6m thick and 2.5m high, and a doorway in its S side.

A recumbent slab, 6ft long, bearing an incised Latin cross on a graduated base, lies at NH 6363 8919 (OS [WDJ]) in the churchyard, obviously having been moved since 1909 when it is described as lying about 50ft SSE of the SE corner of the church (RCAHMS 1911). An indecipherable inscription runs round the upper edge.

The 'Standing Stone' at NH 6366 8919 is an upright cross-slab bearing an incised Celtic cross with rounded armpits. A rough, unhewn block, 6ft 10ins high and 2ft wide, it is known as 'St Demhan's Cross' (OSA 1793), obviously from St Devenic, whose fair was still held at Creich in 1630.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1793; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1874; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

(NH 6364 8921) Chapel (NR) (rems of)

(NH 6366 8919) St Demhan's Cross (NR)

OS 6" map, (1971).

The ruined church, the mausoleum, the cross-incised stone and St Demhan's Cross are as described by the previous authorities.

Visited by OS (J B), 12 September 1980.

People and Organisations

References