Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 662629

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NH66SW 5 6343 6218.

(NH 6343 6218) Kinbeachie Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Of Kinbeachie Castle, formerly a seat of the Urquharts, only the south gable remains. It contains a fireplace over which is a panel dated 1546. The other walls are reduced to foundation level.

MacDonald, Polson and Brown (1931) say that another panel, dated 1612, is now in the National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh.

Name Book 1875; D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931.

The remains of Kinbeachie Castle comprise the SE wall and the foundations of the NE, NW and SW walls. The SE wall, 1.2m in width; is extant to a maximum height of 1.7m and the total length is 6.6m externally. It is rubble masonry, but the E and S angles have been constructed of dressed stones. The inside face of the wall is obscured in a mass of tumble, and the fireplace, together with the date panel, is no longer visible.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R B) 24 January 1966.

No remains.

RCAHMS 1979.

People and Organisations