Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 662291

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/662291

NH64NW 1 64549 46448.

(NH 64554645) Monument (On site of Conflict between the Clans Chattan and Munro A.D. 1454) {NAT}

OS 6"map, (1938)

This monument stands on the rocky face of a hill close to the village of Clachnaharry, and was erected by the late Mr R Duff of Muirton, in 1821, to mark the site of a conflict which took place AD. 1454 between the Clans Chattan (Mackintosh) and Munro.

The first recorded account (R Gordon 1813) of this battle erroneously gives the date as 1333, occurring shortly after the Battle of Halidon Hill, and this date is perpetuated in the Statistical Account (NSA 1845) and Pennant (as AD. 1341).(T Pennant 1774).

The Mackintosh Papers (Information taken from The Genealogy of the family of Mackintosh, AD 1680 {Mss documents compiled c. 1680}) contain details of this battle taking place in 1454, and is the most authentic record.

Name Book 1868; R Gordon 1813; New Statistical Account (NSA, Rev A Rose, A Clark and R Macpherson) 1845; T Pennant 1774.

Memorial stone of C15 clan battle

19th century or earlier.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.

People and Organisations

References