Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 661093

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes



Aberdeen, Brig O' Balgownie.

Probably started about 1272 and completed after interruption long after 1294, probably in early 14th century. Richard Cementarius, the King's Master mason, Alderman of Aberdeen in 1272 may have been engaged in building bridge, from Bishop's revenues in the time of Bishop Chein (1285-1328). The bridge was not finished until long after Richard's death, and when it was done it was accredited to King Robert the Bruce rather than to Chein.

Country Life, 9th July 1943, Photograph


Information available at Aberdeen Public Library, Reference Library:

Nicol W. "History of the Old Bridge of Don, 1851

W.Paul. "Notes on the early history of the Brig of Balgownie, 1876

G.M.Fraser. "The Aberdeen Bridges and their story - in John Knox Church Bazaar Book, 1910

"In Aberdeen fifty years ago", 1868.

"In Aberdeen in byegone days", 1910.

John Milne, "Aberdeen", 1911.

Aberdeen Public Libraries - Reference Department

Oil painting C. 1820; Bridge of Balgowie, 1836, lithograph from original by W. Purser. Early part of the nineteenth century, lithograph

Slides: the bridge showing roadway.


SMT Magazine, May, 1951

Plans: Aberdeen:

1/8" plan and elevation. Measured and drawn by Gordon S Esslemont. Measured with J.P.M. Wright and A Tough, 1930. Drawings stored either at Ila Rose Street, Aberdeen, or 150 Crown Street, Aberdeen. (Students of Aberdeen School of Architecture.) Small scale drawings with photographs and notes, a few surveys left. Measured and drawn by Stephen Sutherland, measured with Peter S Leask, 1923-29. Students of Aberdeen School of Architecture - stored at the Aberdeen School of Architecture. (see A.S.R Mackenzie file)

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23115.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Following a General Inspections of the structure in 2002 and 2004 the poor condition of the parapet was noted. Outer face of the parapet was badly weathered and mortar on the inner surface was loose. Repointing works started on 30 May 2006 on the inner surfaces of the parapet. Later scaffold was erected to allow access to the outer parapet surfaces and inspection of the rest of the bridge structure. Following inspection of the arch barrel it was decided to extend the repointing to the soffit of the arch. The works were completed on 4 October 2006.

Aberdeen City Council 2006

People and Organisations