Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 660875

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/660875

NH59NW 5 5436 9901.

(NH 5436 9901) Cairn Circle (NR)

OS 1:10,000map, (1970)

A natural gravel mound, encircling which, at a few feet above its base, is a setting of stones which seems to be the remains of a continuous circle, the stones of which appear to have been set contiguously. Two or three pointed stones remain set with their broad faces in line of the circumference, but the majority are boulders. The two largest stones remaining in situ measure 3'10" x 2'10" and 3' x 2'10" respectively. A quadrangular block, about 2' high, placed in the centre of the circle, does not appear to be in situ. From the NE, running round by E to SW, are the remains of an outer circle of boulders which seem to converge with the inner circle towards the NE. The elevation of the centre of the inner circle suggests that a small cairn may have existed there, while a depression seems to indicate that this has been excavated. The diameter of the inner circle is from 40'-43' and the outer circle seems to have been some 6' distant from it. The exact character of the construction is not quite evident, owing to the interference due to the cultivation of the land in which it stands.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

A mutilated cairn about 2.0m high on a slight elevation which has been ploughed around giving the false impression that the cairn was placed on a knoll. Only four or five kerb stones appear to be in situ and these are round the NE half. About twelve others lie displaced outside them and are undoubtedly what the RCAHMS called an outer circle. An accurate diameter cannot be obtained but it would seem to have been about 13.5m to 14.0m. The boulder in the centre is loose and probably displaced from the kerb. Although the cairn has suffered from sporadic mutilation, particularly in the SW, the centre would seem to be intact.

Surveyed at 1:2500 (visited by OS [EGC] 12 June 1963).

Visited by OS (J M) 17 September 1974.

No change to previous field report.

Revised at 1:10,000 and 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J M) 27 October 1976.

An archaeological excavation was carried out at this site in 1995 ahead of road improvement works. The road was to be straightened at a blind bend, which threatened an area immediately adjacent to the kerbed burial cairn. An area was investigated between the cairn and the existing road, where activity associated witht the use of the cairn monument might be expected. A number of features were found, including a series of burnt layers in a pit, and two dark, linear features containing quantities of small stone. The linear features were deemed to be drainage ditches. No other features were recorded and it was noted that the area had been severely affected by ploughing.

R Gourlay 1995

People and Organisations

References