Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 659702

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/659702

NS38SE 43 3853 8256

For associated station, see NS38SE 32.

(Location cited as NS 386 825). Balloch Pier, opened in present form 1896 by the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line Committee. The steamer pier, a sheet- piled modern structure replaced a timber-piled pier, the shire end of which still exists, supporting a wooden station building, with a bracketed glazed awning.

J R Hume 1976.

"Balloch Pier: A small railway pier on Loch Lomond, with a wooden block of station offices partly supported on piles. The steamer berth is protected by sheet metal piling. Now used for pleasure sailings on the Loch, with PS Maid of the Loch."

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 29 April 1971.

See NMRS MS/749 for photographic prints [Dunbartonshire Bonhill/ Balloch parish].

"Balloch Pier: PS Maid of the Loch, built by A & J Inglis, Pointhouse, engines by Rankin and Blackmore, Greenock."

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 1977.

See NMRS MS/749 for contact prints, JR Hume negatives H77/73/12 [Dunbartonshire Bonhill/ Balloch parish].

People and Organisations

References