Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 654629

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/654629

ND23NE 11 2995 3923

(ND 2995 3923) Broch (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1977)

A small artificial knoll - the remains of a Pictish dwelling.

Name Book 1871.

The remains of a broch, now visible as a low, turf-covered sub-circular mound with a slightly concave centre, 1.0m high and some 20.0m in diameter, situated on near-level ground on the NE bank of a burn. Soil erosion has revealed a heavy stone content, but no definite traces of wall faces can be seen, save possibly on the NW side, where a single course of stones protrudes through the turf, forming a horseshoe shape, 2.0m across, indicating a mural cell.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (NKB), 10 May 1967.

People and Organisations

References