Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 654364

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/654364

ND26SE 7 2538 6290.

(ND 2538 6290) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1970)

This mound, containing the ruins of a broch, stood 12ft high in 1873, and was well preserved.

Name Book 1873.

Growing crops prevented examination in 1910.

RCAHMS 1911.

An oval, grass-covered stony mound measuring some 40.0m NW-SE by 32.0m transversely and 2.4m high. The flat central area on its summit measures 19.0m by 13.0m. No trace of broch walling can be seen but some dressed stones lie on the ground surface. No finds have been made.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 6 September 1965.

A turf-covered broch mound as described by the previous field investigator.

Visited by OS (N K B) 18 May 1982.

People and Organisations

References