Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 654237

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/654237

ND27SE 5 2564 7420.

(ND 2564 7420) Broch (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

The fragmentary remains of this structure are probably a broch. The building has occupied the whole of the outer end of the promontory, now some 30ft in breadth, but the crumbling away of the rock has considerably curtailed its dimensions. The whole is overgrown with grass and no part of the structure is visible. Across the landward end of the promontory a trench has been dug.

RCAHMS 1911.

The fragmentary remains of a broch, as described by the RCAHMS, except that further coastal erosion has exposed traces of walling on the N and SW sides. The ditch is now only faintly traceable.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R B) 23 February 1965.

At least half of the broch has been eroded away but walling is visible on the N and SW, giving a wall thickness of 1.55m and an internal diameter of c.5.25m (sic).

C E Batey 1982.

The much-eroded broch now evident as a turf-covered, irregular stony mound is about 14.0m across and 1.6m high. The ditch on the landward side averages 10.0m wide and is up to 1.0m deep.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J B) 5 May 1982.

People and Organisations

References