Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 653722

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/653722

ND14SW 7 1385 4095.

ND 1385 4095. A group of three shielings are located on the N bank of the Allt a' Cheracher. Each is in a poor state of preservation and are of the usual construction, ie. a low mound (0.3m high) on which lie the remains of stone-built rectangular structures. Between the two easternmost ones is a grassy area which probably indicates the site of another. The two extreme ones measure some 5 by 3m, while the middle one is about 9 by 3m. All lie NW-SE.

Some 450m NE of this group is an isolated shieling on the S bank of the burn. It is about 5.0m square with ruined walls 0.2m high. It is covered with reeds. Nine metres SW of it is a slight, turf-built hut circle 4m in diameter with an entrance, 0.5m wide, in the N. The turf bank is 0.2m high.

Visited by OS (W D J) 17 April 1961.

The alleged hut circle is a circular shieling bothy. Otherwise, no change to the previous field report.

Revised at 1:10560

Visited by OS (J M) 19 October 1982.

Four unroofed shieling-huts are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1876, sheet xxvii) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1962).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 18 December 1995

People and Organisations

References