Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 650796

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NC70SW 20 73884 03518.

The Church of Rogart was given by Bishop Gilbert (bishop in the second quarter of the 13th century) to the Church of Dornoch.

H Morrison 1883.

The church, dedicated apparently to a saint known locally as St Callan, was repaired between 1602 and 1619 by Sir Robert Gordon. The church appears to have stood at all times in the village of Rogart where the present building was erected in 1777 (but see also NC70SW 16 - St Callan's Chapel - site).

Orig Paroch Scot 1855.

NC 7385 0352. The present church of St Callan was gutted about 1770 and rebuilt in 1777. It was restored in 1956, and is still in use.

The original church on this site superseded the chapel further S in 1556 (Information from Rev J B Imrie, The Manse, Rogart to OS).

Visited by OS (N K B) 17 February 1966.

No change. Church still in use.

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 April 1981.

People and Organisations