Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 649334

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/649334

NC63NW 31 6346 3837.

(NC 6346 3837) Cup-marked Stone (NR).

OS 6"map, (1964)

A cup-marked stone was found in the burial place of Grumbeg in September 1905. It was standing upright at the head of a grave and protruded 6ins above the ground. It is evidently a fragment of a larger slab and would appear to have been moved to its present position from elsewhere (Mackay 1906).

The stone of micaceous schist is triangular in shape, measuring 20ins by 18ins and 4ins thick, and bears three well-defined cup-marks about 3ins diameter and 1ins deep, and another less well defined marking towards the base (RCAHMS 1911).

The stone was located in 1961, and was laid face down in the graveyard in 1971 (Information from Ms notes of A S Henshall, 11 August 1971).

A Mackay 1906; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited bu OS (W D J) 13 May 1961.

According to Mr MacLennan (Shepherd, Grumbeg, Strathnaver) this cup-marked stone was removed "some years ago" and placed in the museum at Bettyhill.

Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1977.

People and Organisations

References