Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 643569

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/643569

HY21SE 18 2887 1385 and 2888 1384

See also HY21SE 3.

(HY 288 139) The outlines of two cairns, lying contiguous to one another in a line almost due east - west and with diameters of 43 ft and 58 ft, can be seen 100 yds north of the disc barrow (HY21SE 3) and close to the side of the hill-road to the crofter's house.

But for their size they resemble hut circles, due to the thorough robbing which has left a ridge about 3 ft high around their outer margins. Within, a number of stones, on edge and in no regular order, project above the turf to a height of about 1 ft.

F W L Thomas 1852; RCAHMS 1946, visited August 1928.

Two cairns as described by the Commission.

A - HY 2887 1385 - measures 19.0m. in diameter and 0.7m. high. Several earthfast stones set on edge appear around its south arc, and are probably the remains of a peristalith. Although there are a few stones visible in the centre of this denuded cairn, no definite pattern could be evolved from them.

B - HY 2888 1384 - measures c.11.5m. in diameter and 0.5m. high, and is joined to A along its NW side. No peristalith could be seen at this cairn, and again no set pattern could be evolved from the few remaining small earthfast stones protruding from the turf.

The cairns lie in a line NW to SE.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RB) 25 April 1966.

World Heritage Area; Geophysical survey

N Card (OAT)

A second season of magnetometry survey was undertaken in and around the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage SIte. Over 30ha was surveyed, further clarifying the extent of known sites and locating many new ones. Magnetometry revealed a large complex of enclosures, field systems and structures covering several hectares around this site.

Report to be lodged with Orkney SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsors: HS, Orkney Islands Council, GSB (Bradford), Orkney Archaeology Trust.

People and Organisations

References