Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 641191

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


HP60SW 3 6191 0291

(HP 6191 0293) Chapel (LB)

(In Ruins) Burial Ground (TI).

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed., (1900)

A ruined chapel, probably pre-reformation, standing within its burial ground which was still in use in 1878 (Name Book 1878). The chapel is oblong in plan, measuring (internally - not 'overall' as stated by RCAHMS) 36' 10" (11.22m) E-W long from 10' 6" (3.2m) to 11' 9" (3.6m) N-S. The walls which are very irregularly built, varying from 2'11" (0.89m) to 5'2" (1.58m) in thickness, stand to a maximum height of 6' (1.83m) on the west. The only opening traceable is an entrance in the middle of the west gable. Internally there are slight indications of cross-walls at 15'6" (4.72m) from the east and again at 11'6" (16.77m) from the west end. Within the burial-ground, beside some upright slabs carved with rude crosses, lies a recumbent cross-slab as well as five roughly formed coped-stones, each having a central rib on the upper surface. Inside the chapel is a large late 17th or early 18th century armorial stone.

RCAHMS 1946.

Our Ladies Kirk.

Shetland Museum Card Index.

As described. The burial ground is still in use. Name not known locally.

Visited by OS (RL), 4 May 1969.

Cemetery [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1973.

People and Organisations