Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

External Reference

Date 2 September 2011

Event ID 636909

Category Documentary Reference

Type External Reference


Scheduled (with NS27SE 54.00 and constituent elements) as 'The monument known as Loch Thom-Overton, water cut... an aqueduct. reservoir, sluices, sluice houses and workmen's bothies, commonly known as "The Greenock Cut". The monument is part of a larger water system built to provide drinking water for Greenock and water power for industry in the town. Water was collected from the moorland to the south of Greenock and conveyed around the aqueduct to the town's mills. The monument was designed by Robert Thom and built between 1825-7 by Shaw's Water Company. The aqueduct became obsolete in 1971 when a tunnel was opened from Loch Thom to the town. The monument is located in rough pasture at 165m above sea level.'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 2 September 2011.

People and Organisations