Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Field Visit

Date 20 August 2002

Event ID 613584

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/613584

Relief panels with central shield in each and surrounding motifs.

From top: (1) quartered shield with a lion rampant in the 1st and 4th quarters, three lions passant guardant in the 2nd quarter, and a harp in the 3rd quarter. The shield is flanked by thistle and foliage on the left and roses (?) on the right. Above the shield is a dove with outstretched wings.

(2) Shield with lion rampant; rose / foliage to the left and thistle to the right. A dove again above all.

(3) Shield with castle on rock; ivy to left, laurel (?) to right, dove spread above.

(4) Shield with a large saltire, in the middle of which is a flying dove on an open book. Above is a thistle and below is a three-towered castle. Above the shield is foliage, to either side is a flying dove; another dove below holds in its beak a ribbon with inscription.

Inspected By : D.King

Inscriptions : On ribbon held by dove, in panel above door (raised letters): VIVENDO CISCIMVS

Immediately above door, in frame (raised gothic letters): PAX INTRANTIBVS SALVS EXEVNTIBVS

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1892

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1006)

People and Organisations

References