Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Note

Date 16 July 2010

Event ID 606948

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/606948

Glecknabae is a former farmsteading, now converted to residential use, which comprises a series of roofed and unroofed buildings ranged around a large courtyard that is open to the NW. ‘Glacknabeach’ is first depicted on Roy’s Military Map (1747-55), but it is shown in greater detail on a contemporary estate map (Foulis 1758-9, RHP 14107), which shows five buildings. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, Sheet CXCIII) depicts the courtyard steading and another range about 25m to the NW. Further modifications to the steading were made in the late 19th century and are depicted on the 2nd edition of the map (Buteshire 1897, Sheet CXCIII).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 16 July 2010.

People and Organisations

References