Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

R Paxton and J Shipway

Date 2007

Event ID 606544

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/606544

Dr [Adam] Anderson designed and superintended the construction of Perth’s first gasworks in 1824–25 between Canal and Victoria Streets, adjoining Scott Street. ‘The mode of purifying is entirely new and by the novel construction of the retort house and the method of purifying more than double the usual quantity of gas is extracted from the coal’ [see Paxton and Shipway, 2007, 316 - illustration with Canal Street adjoining ‘N’ and South Street at ‘P’ and elevations of the former (semicircular in plan) retort house, chimney and gasholder house with two holders].

R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

People and Organisations

References