Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders

Date 2007

Event ID 606261

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account


Wemyss Bay Station and Pier, built in 1865, formed the terminus of a branch of the Caledonian Railway which

served the towns on the south coast of the Clyde. This resort was the steamer terminal for much of the pleasure

sailing on the Clyde operated from both Gourock and Wemyss Bay by the Caledonian Railway fleet.

To meet an increasing demand from holidaymakers the station was rebuilt in 1903 to a design by James Miller

and Donald Matheson with an elegant roof of light ironwork and glass, conveying the impression of airy spaciousness.

A covered way was provided to the steamer berths on the pier so that convenient access was possible in all weathers.

The station was refurbished in 1994 at a cost of £1.8 m and still serves the ferry to Rothesay and the Isle of Bute

and summer excursions. It is one of Britain’s finest stations and was considered by the Railway Heritage Trust as one of

the most remarkable conservation projects to which it had contributed.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

People and Organisations