Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Date 7 April 2008 - 8 May 2008

Event ID 576833

Category Recording

Type Excavation


NY 025 656 The hand excavation of an electricity cable trench was undertaken from 7 April–8 May 2008 in the grounds of the castle. A total of 285m was excavated of which c140m was inside the scheduled area. A small section of post-medieval wall was uncovered near the current Greenhead Cottages. The wall, which was two courses high, was constructed directly on top of the natural bedrock, which had been cut to form terrace-like steps. A probable return was located but it appeared the stone here had been robbed away. This robbed-out return also appeared to be the terminus of the wall, but the narrowness of the trench prevented any further to investigation. Although the main wall appeared to be running to the south-eastern corner of the existing cottages it was on a slightly more northerly alignment than the cottage wall. The finds from the fill of the cut for the wall indicate a later postmedieval date. A lead cannonball was recovered from a layer just to the SW of the current stone gate. It measured 45mm in diameter and weighed 630g. Several sherds of medieval pottery were recovered from the trench along with a silver George III half crown dating to 1819.

Archive: Historic Scotland. Report: Dumfries and Galloway SMR, RCAHMS and Historic Scotland

Funder: Scottish Power

David Sneddon (GUARD), 2008

People and Organisations