Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Treasured Places - HLF funded

Event ID 567421

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Treasured Places - HLF funded

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/567421

Built between 1732 and 1734, Dundee Town House was built in Classical style by William Adam. The building featured a steeple over 40m high, which rose from the centre of the roof. At ground level, arcades enclosing shops gave it the local name 'The Pillars'. The council and guildry chambers were on the first floor with the jail above. The town house was repaired after a fire in 1771, extended to the rear in 1872, and demolished in 1932.

Information from RCAHMS 1996

An image of this site has been nominated as one of Scotland's favourite archive images. For more information about the project visit http://www.treasuredplaces.org.uk

People and Organisations

References