Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Event ID 560900

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Accessing Scotland's Past Project


Wester Kelso was one of two burghs that later became modern day Kelso. The burgh was located in Lodge Park, probably in the area around the lodge gates. A fire in 1684 destroyed Wester Kelso completely, but the burgh market-cross survived until the late eighteenth century.

Excavations on Roxburgh Street carried out between 1983 and 1985 revealed evidence of a terrace parallel to the street, a sixteenth century corn-drying kiln, and rubbish and quarry pits.

Wester Kelso is first mentioned in 1323 when a special court was convened by the Abbot, their feudal lord, to hear a complaint made against the people of Wester Kelso. It appears that the townspeople had broken the Abbot's laws by creating new burgesses and licensing brewers and stall-holders. According to the record, the affair was resolved when the burgesses' spokesman apologised profusely adding that they intended no offence to their Lord.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

People and Organisations