Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 23 May 1934 - 25 May 1934

Event ID 555698

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Dun Broraraic broch, on a summit 550 feet above O.D. and 3/4 of a mile from shire commanding a superb view up the Sound of Islay to Colonsay and Mull., across the island to Loch Indall, the Rhinns and Ireland down to the Sound to Kintyre. The entrance on the south-east is well preserved, the passage being 13 feet long and 2 feet 4 inches wide at each end, but widening out at centre. To the left is a cell, entered from the door-passage. The corbelling of the roof is visible though the capstones have fallen in and the floor is choked with stones; dimensions above these 8 feet by 4 feet 6 inches. The court is choked with fallen stones and exact diameter is uncertain. The outer face of the tower wall on the south-west has fallen down the precipice, but elsewhere its base at least is well preserved. In the thickness of the wall on the left (south-west) side are traces of the stair. A little further round a passage leads to a cell, the corbelled inner wall of which is exposed by the collapse of the outer wall. A signal station with concrete piles has been built over the broch wall on the south (left). There are no certain traces of outworks.

V G Childe 1935

People and Organisations