Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Treasured Places

Date 4 July 2007

Event ID 546237

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Treasured Places


In 1838 Jenners Department store began operating on its present location in Princes Street. A fire in 1892 destroyed the first buildings and a new, fireproofed, structure opened in 1895. Technical innovations in the new building included electric lighting and hydraulic lifts. The centrepiece of the store is a large, top-lit gallery.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 4 July 2007

Miller, R D 1995

Gifford, J, McWilliam, C and Walker, D 1984

People and Organisations