Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Treasured Places - HLF funded

Date 2 August 2007

Event ID 546158

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Treasured Places - HLF funded

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/546158

Founded shortly before 1203 on the site of the Columban abbey, the Benedictine Abbey on Iona comprised a church dedicated to St Mary and a monastery dedicated to St Columba. In 1499 the church became the Cathedral of the Bishops of the Isles. Reportedly damaged by a reforming mob in 1561, by the end of the 17th century the abbey had fallen into ruins. Restoration work began at the end of the 19th century and, in 1938, the newly formed Iona Community took over the running of the abbey.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 2 August 2007

An image of this site has been nominated as one of Scotland's favourite archive images. For more information about the project visit http://www.treasuredplaces.org.uk

People and Organisations

References