Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Date 1912

Event ID 1117234

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note


Crannog, Black Loch or Loch Inch Crindil.

About 3 m. to the NE. of Stranraer, and within the policies of Lochinch, lying adjacent to one another, are the White Loch or Loch of Inch, and the Black Loch or Loch Inch Crindil. The latter is over 1 m. in length and of varying width-the widest portion towards the SE. end being some 2/3 m. across. At this end is noted on the O.S. map the site of a crannog on Heron Isle, which gives llame to the place Lochinch. The island was examined by the Hon. C. E. Dalrymple about 1870-71, when the circular mound in the middle of it was excavated and evidence of a crannog obtained. The layers of wood appeared to have covered a space of some 50' in diameter, almost agreeing in size as well as in shape with the mound, which was 45' in diameter, rising in the centre to 3 ½ with traces of a low wall around the edge. Some 50' from it, on the weather side of the island, was found a solitary oak pile, making it probable that there had been a breakwater placed there or a chevaux de frise of sharp-pointed stakes for defence. Fireplaces were found at different levels, and, mixed with ashes and charcoal, were large quantities of bones of animals, mostly more or less burnt. Amongst the relics recovered were a double-margined comb of bone, imperfect, 2 ¾” across, formed of separate pieces enclosed between two transverse slips of bone, fastened with three iron rivets, and ornamented with dots and circles having a running scroll pattern; a flat loop, and the rim of a large vessel of bronze; portion of an armlet of glass with twisted cable ornament; and two copper coins - one a bodle of Charles II. The existence of the copper coins in the crannog is explained by the fact that the island has been planted several times, and considerable quantities of soil and stones added to it. These relics are preserved in the National Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh.

The White Loch or Loch of Inch, which is smaller than the Black Loch, has also an island upon it, about the middle of its length near the western shore, which, however, appears to be natural. Itis noted on Pont's map as a homestead, and up to the beginning of the 17th century a house of the Earls of Cassillis stood upon it. A small canoe dug out of a single oak tree was found (circa 1870) between the island and the shore [see NX16SW 31] . See Antiquaries, ix. pp. 381 and 388; Scottish Lake Dwellings, p. 57 (comb. illus.); Ayr and Gall. Arch. Coll., v. p. 108 (comb. illus.).

O.S.M., WIGTOWN, xii. SW.

RCAHMS 1912 No. 32

People and Organisations