Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 28 June 1921

Event ID 1095728

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Teampull nan Crò’ Naomh.

Near the seashore and about ¼ of a mile west-north-west of Galson farmhouse, Teampull nan Crò’ Naomh is situated within an old graveyard. It is oblong on plan and orientated. The two gables are destroyed, and the earth outside the church reaches almost to the wall heads, which are roughly 5 feet high on the inside. The church, measuring 19 feet by 12 feet 1 inch internally, with walls averaging 2 feet 6 inches in thickness, is entered by a door 2 feet 5 inches in width in the west of the south wall. Thirteen inches from the outside face this opening has 3 ½-inch checks, with bar-hole on either side and squared sconsions. The building has been lit by three windows at the east end, one window, 6 inches wide and splayed inwardly with stepped sills, being placed in each of the side walls and the other in the centre of the east gable; the last appears to have been 1 foot 6 inches wide. In the north wall are three (? putlog) holes 7 inches wide, and three are also seen in the south wall, but only two are in a corresponding position to the former.

As it stands, the name would appear to mean Church of the Holy Blood, but Martin refers, to the building as ‘Holy Cross Church in Galan’.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 28 June 1921.

OS map ref, Lewis ii

People and Organisations

Digital Images