Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Note

Date 8 August 2014 - 16 November 2016

Event ID 1044771

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1044771

This fort is situated on Duncarnock, a rocky hill which rises abruptly from the SE shore of the Glanderston Dam reservoir. An irregular polygon on plan, it measures a maximum of 185m from NE to SW by 105m transversely (1.6ha) within a thick stone wall up to 4m in thickness; for much of the circuit the wall has been reduced to a band of rubble, but along the S side it forms a mound some 7m thick and 1.5m high, and the rubble has been pulled away from its leading edge to reveal an outer face of large blocks and boulders; there is also an entrance on the SE, though the terraced trackway dropping obliquely down the slope below it may be more recent. The interior is rocky and uneven, incorporating across a saddle at its NE end a knoll that in 1955 Richard Feachem suggested may have been enclosed as a strongpoint in the defences, though the more recent survey of 2009 was not convinced that there was any evidence that this had been the case. Traces of rig-and-furrow cultivation are also visible on this knoll, while roughly in the centre of the fort there are the footings of a small rectangular building, with a second overlying the fort wall on the SE. In 1958 Frank Newall picked up a sherd of pottery and a fragment of worked shale near the NE end of the fort (Newall 1958).

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 16 November 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC1433

People and Organisations

References