Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tarbat carved stones Description of collection

Event ID 1038852

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1038852

Portmahomack, Tarbat carved stones (TR 1-264), Ross and Cromarty

Early medieval carved stones from the churchyard at Tarbat Parish Church have been recorded since the eighteenth century, and nine were included in Allen & Anderson’s volume published in 1903. Another eleven stones were found in the twentieth century, and following Professor Martin Carver’s excavations of 1996 to 2007, the total has increased to 264. Many of these are very small fragments and they have not been given individual entries in Canmore. As many as 230 of the 264 stones were found during excavation in the Glebe Field south-west of the church, and most of them are thought to have belonged to one large monument bearing panels of ornament. Overall the collection includes parts of highly decorated cross-slabs, plain cross-slabs, and fragments of church furniture and architectural pieces. Those included here individually may be found under NH98SW 14.01 to 14.40.

Allen & Anderson 1903, pt 3, 73-5, 88-95; Carver et al 2017, 148.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2018

People and Organisations

References