Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 2 October 2017

Event ID 1026442

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


This footbridge across the River Clyde is an ornamental wrought iron late-Victorian or Edwardian suspension bridge built by Mr James Graham of Carfin Estate to link the Lanark Road on the west bank of the river to the policies of Carfin House on the east. The bridge is depicted on the 3rd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanarkshire 1911, Sheet 025.09) and was built with a gate at its midpoint that prevented access to Carfin. When the bridge was photographed by Professor Hume in 1978 all the wooden decking was missing; it was later restored and for a time formed part of the Clyde Walkway. It has since been closed for access due to the deteriorating condition of the decking.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (AMcC, JRS) 2 October 2017.

People and Organisations