Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Field Visit

Date 2016

Event ID 1023666

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1023666

NS 29599 84566 A prominent boulder marked with cup and rings was surveyed by Lacaille in 1924 when he recorded 57 cups with at least 8 rings. The present survey only detected 35 cups, 3 with single rings, and 2 with the remains of double and triple rings respectively. Modern graffiti was

also recorded. The attrition of the stone is due to weathering and the effects of people walking on its surface. A limited excavation was carried out around the stone and a fractured part of it was returned to its proper position. The society has placed an interpretative panel beside the stone to explain its presence and hopefully to deter any further climbing upon it.

Report: NRHE, WoSAS and on www.spanglefish.com/

NorthClydeArchaeologicalSociety/index.asp

Sponsors: Luss Estates Company and Foundation Scotland

Sandra Kelly – North Clyde Archaeological Society

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

People and Organisations

References