Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Date 6 June 2017

Event ID 1022736

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note


The building of the James Watt Dock (1878-86) was part of a scheme to improve the harbours of Greenock so that they could compete with the Glasgow dockyards. Garvel Park with its country house and estate sitting on a headland was mostly excavated away leaving only the former Georgian house remaining (see NS27NE 59). The harbour scheme was to be a wet dock with lock gates at both the W and NE entrances but it was never completed as planned. Only the James Watt Harbour and part of the Great Harbour (NS27NE 18) were completed. While the harbour still has some commercial activity the E half is now used as a marina.

Information from HES, Survey and Recording (AKK) 2 April 2017.

People and Organisations