Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Publication Account

Date 1912

Event ID 1022034

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1022034

These works (formerly belonging to the Partick, Hillhead, and Maryhill Gas Company) were capable of producing about 2 million cubic feet of gas per day. The are now [c.1912] worked and maintained only for experimantal purposes.

A large installation of plant for the manufacture of oil gas is still intact, but it is not now required.

A trial setting of Vertical Retorts has been erected at these Works, as there was every facility for testing this system of carbonising. Four retorts 20 feet long are now in use., and can be inspected at any time - one retort being dealt with at the beginning of each hour.

Glasgow Corporation Gas Department (c.1912)

People and Organisations

References