Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 2006

Event ID 1019725

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1019725

A battery was built on Lamer Island in 1781, principally to protect the town from privateers during the later stages of the American War of Independence. It has a rounded seaward front designed to deflect artillery and is fitted with several embrasures for heavy guns. In later times the structure was used as an isolation hospital and for invalids returning from the First World War. The structure has been listed category 'B'.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Dunbar: Archaeology and Development’, (2006).

People and Organisations

References