Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Publication Account

Date 1995

Event ID 1018940

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1018940

Standing to the south of the parish church is the old market cross figure 14.C, the only Scheduled Ancient Monument in Cumnock. This is not its original position (see pp 51-2 and figures 14.N & 15.K/L). Its first site may have been in Townhead Street, but in the eighteenth century it was transferred to, or first erected at the north-east corner of the Square, from where it was moved to ease access in that area. Topped with a sundial, it bears the arms and motto of the earls of Dumfries and the dates '1703 repaired 1778' figure 4.

Information from ‘Historic Cumnock: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1995).

People and Organisations

References