Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Publication Account

Date 1978

Event ID 1017884

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1017884

The Episcopal Church by Elm House marks the site of the Franciscan Friary first mentioned in 1242 (Cowan and Easson, 1976, 126). It was burned by the English in 1355 and 1547. In what was to be a temporary move, the friary was alienated to the magistrates in 1555 and six years later orders for its demolition were issued although the friary church was not taken down until 1572. The Greyfriars Church of Haddington was called 'the Lamp of Lothian' in honour of its magnificence. Part of the foundations of the building and evidently the remains of a graveyard were uncovered in 1878 when workmen built a large drain through the grounds of the friary (Robb, n. d., 184).

Information from ‘Historic Haddington: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1978).

People and Organisations

References