Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Publication Account

Date 1986

Event ID 1017221

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1017221

A no-nonsense Z-plan castle, Glenbuchat stands foursquare above the ravine of the Water of Buchat. Built in 1590 by John Gordon and Helen Camegie, whose initials can still be seen on the door lintel, the exterior is restrained, the three large offset blocks rising to corbelled square caphouses and crowsteps, giving it an angular look.

A French origin has been claimed for the two arches or trompes in the angles on the northern face, but they are as likely to have been inspired by local medieval squinch arches. The walls, which would have been harled, are pierced by many gun-loops, including one covering the door from the turret above.

The first floor of the main block contains the great hall, with laird's chamber in the north-east tower. Extensive alterations included the partitioning of the hall and the reworking of the upper floors (hence the odd four-light window on the west gable).

In all this is a building of solid grace still within the dictates of defence.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Grampian’, (1986).

People and Organisations

References