Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Publication Account

Date 1985

Event ID 1016580

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1016580

This motte, like that at Abington (no. 44), overlooks the River Clyde but here all trace of its surrounding ditch and any associated earth works have been removed by agriculture and modem development The roughly circular mound measures about 12m in diameter at the summit and it rises to a height of 2.5m above the surrounding ground.

The earliest reference to a Norman noble in the parish is to an Alexander of Cutir who is on record as a witness to Charles of Maldoven, earl of Lennox, some time between 1225 and 1270, but it is likely that the castle was built at least one generation earlier in the preceding century.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

People and Organisations

References