Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 1985

Event ID 1016541

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account


Wemyss Bay station and its pier were renowned to generations of Glaswegians as the railway terminus for their annual trip 'doon the watter' to Rothesay on the island of Bute.

Originally opened in 1865 by the Wemyss Bay Railway Company, the station was completely rebuilt in 1903 by its new owners, the Caledonian Railway Company, and is regarded as one of the finest stations of its period. From the outside it is distinguished by its clock-tower and from the inside by the centrally placed booking office from which radiate the steel ribs for the glazed roof.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

People and Organisations