Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Publication Account

Date 1996

Event ID 1016428

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1016428

A mock-military laird's house, Glenbuchat stands foursquare above the ravine of the Water of Buchat. Built in 1590 by John Gordon and Helen Carnegie, whose initials can still be seen on the door lintel, the exterior is restrained, the three large offset blocks rising to corbelled square caphouses and crowsteps, giving it an angular look.

A French origin has been claimed for the two arches or trompes in the angles on the northern face, but they are as likely to have been inspired by local medieval squinch arches. The walls, which would have been harled, are pierced by many gun-loops, including one covering the door from the turret above.

The first floor of the main block contains the great hall, with laird's chamber in the north-east tower. There is much fine ashlar work inside, indicating lavish expense. Extensive alterations included the partitioning of the hall and the reworking of the upper floors (hence the odd four-light window on the west gable). In all this is a building of solid grace and comfortable display.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Aberdeen and North-East Scotland’, (1996).

People and Organisations

References