Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 1996

Event ID 1016205

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1016205

Despite the misfortune of the estate in attempting premature improvement in the early 19th century, the house of Graemeshall today is a gracious mansion in the Scottish style, set in tranquil grounds. It is a double block of two storeys and an attic, with crow stepped gables and mullioned windows, and it was the work of John A Bruce of the Kirkwall firm of Peace Architects. The garden wall retains a moulded arch from the earlier 17th century house, which was designed round a courtyard and incorporated elements going back to the 15th century. This earlier house was originally called Meall but was renamed Graemeshall after it had been accquired by the Graham fami ly in the mid 17th century.

A chapel to St Margaret of Antioch and Scotland was added to the east wing of the 19th-century house in 1898, and it contains an important early Christian graveslab from Holm parish graveyard. The garden is dominated by large statues of Faith, Hope and Charity created in 1868 for a building(since demolished) in Inverness.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Orkney’, (1996).

People and Organisations

References