Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Geophysical Survey

Date 18 August 2014 - 20 August 2014

Event ID 1013721

Category Recording

Type Geophysical Survey

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1013721

NS 20265 59441 The Skelmorlie Aisle was built in 1636 and formed the N transept of the medieval parish church of Largs. The body of the church was demolished in the early 19th century, leaving the aisle standing alone in the graveyard. A geophysical survey was undertaken, 18–20 August 2014, of the graveyard surrounding the aisle and the northern extension to the graveyard. The survey aimed to identify the position of the current drains and areas bereft of archaeology or burials where new drains and a sump might be placed. It was also hoped a better understanding would be gained of the plan of the demolished church. A resistance survey was carried out over all available areas in the graveyard and northern

extension, while a Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) survey was limited to the northern extension to the graveyard and the area immediately surrounding the aisle.

Although the resistance survey identified some responses of potential significance it did not clearly identify the footprint for the former church. The GPR survey data are confused by extant graves. However, the survey does appear to have detected possible drainage features and potentially

identified limited sections of possible foundations associated with the earlier church. Additional responses suggestive of further buried structural features to the N of the aisle were also noted.

Archive: Rose Geophysical Consultants

Funder: Historic Scotland

Susan Ovenden – Rose Geophysical Consultants

(Source: DES)

People and Organisations

References