Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date April 1996 - May 1996

Event ID 1007886

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


An entry against 1203 in the Irish Annals states that "A monastery was erected by Cellach without any legal right, and in spite of the family of Iona, in the middle of the Cro of Iona, and he did considerable damage to the town. The clergy of the North of Ireland assembled to pass over to Iona and in obediance to the law of the church, they subsequently pulled down the monastery."

Reeves sees this as a frustrated attempt to move Culdees into a new monastery, and suggests that 'Gleann-an-Teampull' - 'Glen of the Church' - may derive its name from the monastery's being set up in it.

No buildings or remains are evident.

(ION96 066)

Information from NTS (SCS) January 2016

People and Organisations