Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Watching Brief

Date 19 March 2014

Event ID 1002495

Category Recording

Type Watching Brief


An archaeological watching brief was maintained during the removal of an existing access ramp and two stone steps for the installation of a new path leading from the graveyard to the south porch of Elgin Cathedral. On removal of existing steps it was noted that they had been made using a split, sandstone, grave slab from a 1724 burial. These steps were most likely installed in the late 19th century, changing the layout shown on an Ordnance Survey town plan of 1868. Other material revealed appeared to be mixed demolition material.

Information from OASIS ID: kirkdale1-196113 (P Fox) 2014.

People and Organisations