Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Scanned image of B 24563 CN - a drawing of broch in plan, entitled: 'Road Broch at Keiss N.B.'.

SC 877209

Description Scanned image of B 24563 CN - a drawing of broch in plan, entitled: 'Road Broch at Keiss N.B.'.

Date 1895

Catalogue Number SC 877209

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 24563 CN

Scope and Content Plan of Keiss Road broch, Caithness, Highland Keiss Road, or Kirk Toft's, is located next to Keiss cemetery in north-east Caithness. It was excavated between 1893-5 by Sir Francis Tress Barry (1825-1907), who was the proprietor of the Keiss estate and lived in Keiss castle some 500m from the broch. The broch can still be visited today. This drawing by John Nicolson (1843-1934) shows a plan of Road broch. The draughtsmanship is excellent with the architectural details of the broch and internal features expertly depicted. Nicolson also shows the myriad of external structures and outbuildings which grew up around the broch tower. Barry has a distinguished diplomatic and business career and took up archaeology late in life, when he was 65 years old. During his excavations he employed local people, including Nicolson who was a skilled artist and illustrated, in sketches and drawings, many of the objects found during the Barry's excavations. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/877209

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions