Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Scanned image of a photograph of John Nicolson.

SC 876602

Description Scanned image of a photograph of John Nicolson.

Date c. 1920 to 1930

Collection John Nicolson

Catalogue Number SC 876602

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content John Nicolson at Nybster, Caithness, Highland John Nicolson (1843-1934) was born at Stemster, John O' Groats, in north-east Caithness. A skilled artist and sculptor, Nicolson possessed a keen interest in the archaeology and history of Caithness and excavated a number of archaeological sites including brochs, cairns and cists. He also supervised a series of excavations for Sir Francis Tress Barry (1825-1907), the proprietor of the Keiss estate. This photograph was taken at Nybster and shows Nicolson as an old man. He moved with his family to the 'Half-Way House' at Nybster in 1858 and, after his father's death, continued farming there until he died in 1934. Nicolson is buried in the graveyard at Canisbay church. Nicolson made a invaluable contribution to archaeological knowledge of north-eastern Caithness drawing many of the structures and objects that were uncovered and often providing the only record of the excavations. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (John Nicolson Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions