Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of St Columba's Graveyard, A'Chill and The Square.

SC 875172

Description Oblique aerial view of St Columba's Graveyard, A'Chill and The Square.

Date 2/9/1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 875172

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 40396 CN

Scope and Content Site of St Columba's Church at A'Chill, Canna The site of the medieval parish church of St Columba at A'Chill is located in the centre of a natural amphitheatre near Canna harbour. It has been suggested that Canna is the island of 'Hinba' visited by St Columba between AD 563 and 597. It is likely that A'Chill was the site of an Early Christian monastic foundation. This view shows the site of St Columba's Church at A'Chill and the burial ground (centre left) that is marked only by a surviving cross. A later 19th century graveyard is located nearby against the face of a rocky knoll (centre). Part of Canna harbour and a farmstead can also be seen (top right). Archdeacon Monro mentions the church in 1549 but it was in ruins when noted by Pennant in 1772. The church once lay at the heart of Keill township which appears on an estate map of 1805. The area was cleared of tenants in 1851 and the chapel and burial ground were destroyed by 19th century land improvements. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/875172

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions