Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the castle, taken from the SW.

SC 800164

Description Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the castle, taken from the SW.

Date 11/8/1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 800164

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 29818 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Tantallon Castle, East Lothian This aerial view from the south-west, taken in 1994, shows the 14th-century curtain wall which protects the complex from its landward side, with the inner ditch in front. Further out is the outer ditch. In the middle of the curtain wall is the 16th-century forework, and at the left end the base of the circular Douglas Tower. This castle was a stronghold of the Douglas family, who had stormy relations with the Scottish monarchs. In 1529 it was surrendered to James V, who repaired and strengthened it. It was besieged by General Monk in 1651. It remained a residence until about 1699, and thereafter was used as a quarry. Now in the care of Historic Scotland, it is open to the public. Tantallon Castle stands on a promontory, surrounded on three sides by cliffs 30m high. The fourth side is protected by a massive curtain wall, built in the later 14th century, and altered in the 16th century, and by outer and inner dry ditches with a high inner bank and a low outer one. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800164

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions